Saturday, March 5, 2011

The car salesman

Pink is a very interesting character. He is very mysterious; the author does not give us very much information on him on purpose I believe. When he first is selling the car to the “black man” you can tell that Pink is different from most white men. Right after Sonny has his first confrontation with Pink, you get your first taste of racism against African Americans. Cloyd shows dislike towards the black man that Pink is selling the car too, where Pink is trying to impress the black man by having Sonny move the trash cans. It is the first foreshadow to Pink preferring other races instead of being raciest like Cloyd. Then later on in the book page 64 you see him take Sonny for a ride to an all black neighborhood, which shows that he is defiantly a different character to the times because you see a lot of racism going on in conversations between Cloyd and Bud, two white men. Then as the book progresses around page 118, Pink shows distaste towards Cloyd, and feels like Cloyd is out to get him or is suspicious of him. “You’re not asking ‘cause of Longpre, are you?” (119) Then Pink late makes a deal with Sonny, that he will give him the car as long as he is on his side. “I just need you to be working with me, little brother. You see?” (138). This starts to show the significance of Pink and that sides are being formed. I think the significance of Pink is to show the real racism that is happening throughout this book. Pink is the “sketch” figure that is against Cloyd because he is raciest. I think this is going to lead to uprising later on in the book. I am not quite sure what Pink is trying to find out about Cloyd or what his plan is but I have a feeling it will have to do with something with black people because Cloyd shows a strong disliking and Pink is basically part of the black community. I think the author created Pink as a character to show racism and he will have a more significant part in the book as it goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment